Wednesday, August 27, 2008

To Hire or Not to Hire

FI and I have been fortunate enough to find and book most of our vendors well in advance. However, there are a few loose ends that we have to tie up.

For example, while we've booked the guest shuttle bus, we haven't booked the wedding party's transportation. Since our wedding happens to be on a popular prom night, the limo companies book up fast. Of course, we're not sure if we want to get a limo since most aren't large enough to carry everyone. Since the entire wedding party will be traveling around Newport to take pictures after the ceremony, it's important that we have something that will allow us to ride together. So, we've also thought about renting a limo bus, which holds up to about 30 people. However, there's the question of how I (as the bride) will get to the church. Obviously, I wouldn't be able to ride with the groomsmen and groom. So, we're back to possibly needing 2 vehicles or having to make 2 trips. It's a dilemma. While I've always thought it would be nice to arrive in a white Bentley or Rolls Royce, they are unfortunately very expensive. And, there's only room for me and my dad (prior to the ceremony). There is FI's car, "Vivian," a silver Mercedes. I could possibly just ride in it and have my dad drive. This is the first "to hire or not to hire" question we're facing... and one that needs to be decided soon.

Our second questionable hire is a videographer. Personally, I think we should hire one. Every bride I've spoken with said it was one of their best "purchases," as the day goes by so quickly and it's great to have a video to see everything that you missed. Unfortunately, FI doesn't think it's necessary. He says that we'll never watch the video, and it's just a waste of money. This is a valid concern. We probably won't watch it all that often, but it would be nice to have it to watch after the wedding. To be able to come back from our honeymoon, pop it in, and relive the day. Especially as the bride, I'll miss so much of the ceremony, such as the little flower girl and ring bearer, and the bridesmaids, walking down the aisle, and even FI's debut. However, the average cost of all day coverage is about $2000, which is definitely not cheap. So, is it worth it? Hopefully, this is a battle I'll win. I definitely think this is a "to hire."

Finally, and a most definite "to hire," we have to find a cake baker. There are several places in and around Newport, but we haven't had an opportunity to go cake tasting yet. Personally, I don't want to spend a lot of money on the cake. I just don't think it's going to be the focal point of our wedding that it is in many weddings. So, as long as it looks good, and tastes great, it's good enough for us!

Thoughts? Suggestions?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You absolutely without question NEED a videographer. You'll regret it the rest of your life if you don't. Even if you have to resort to a family member videoing GET ONE!! And I have looked at mine!! Tell FI MOM L said so!! You might have to do without the Bently but Vivian will do, but you need the video.

Unknown said...

Take Vivian to the church, she'll be offended to be completely left out.
I've heard great things from people who have videographers and love the videos.
I'll go cake tasting with you!!! Important to ME! yum yum yum, never enough. Im hungry now.

Paula said...

ok, so, remember when I blogged from Russia during our junior year? today at work I invested me time in getting my blog account thingie reactivated, so now I can comment on your blog!! yay!! do the video. better to do and regret than not do and regret, I always say. love P