Saturday, August 16, 2008

Crazy/Beautiful

Most brides start some kind of workout routine prior to the wedding, whether it's to shed a few pounds or tone up some flabby areas. Personally, I have some issues with my thighs and "armpit fat" that I'm trying to overcome. The entire wedding industry is geared towards making a bride feel like she needs to be at her absolute best for this one day, and many brides take this to the extreme (think liposuction, breast implants, etc). Brides to be are made to order a size smaller and then stress about fitting into it for a year. I don't know about you, but, when I'm stressed, Ben & Jerry are my best friends, so losing weight just ain't gonna happen. Add to this the fact that many popular dresses now are skin-tight mermaid styles that show off every dimple of the butt and thighs, strapless gowns that require a Madonna-esque upper body, or the silky wisp negligee style of Claire Pettibone that "real" women would only wear in a darkened bedroom on anniversary night. It's brutal on a woman's psyche... and physique.

Some brides get so caught up in perfection that they even require their bridesmaids to "better" themselves. The New York Times recently had an article on how some brides are demanding (although often also paying for) breast implants and botox (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/fashion/24skin.html?_r=1&oref=slogin). This is in a different stratosphere than the normal mani/pedi with matching polish that many brides provide or even the more demanding requirement of spray tans. Oh no, this is life-altering, injecting yourself with poision and possibly fatal surgery. FOR A WEDDING! THAT'S NOT EVEN THERE'S!!!

While I'm sure there are some bridesmaids that may welcome the opportunity to do something they may have always wanted to do (especially if the bride is picking up the bill), I think I would be insulted. Being a bridesmaid is about the relationship between the bride and the girl; the friendship that bonds them together and makes the bride want her to be a part of her special day. While pictures obviously last forever, and you want everyone to look snazzy, the first thing you should notice about your wedding pictures is not the size of the bridesmaids' boobs. You should be able to look over your wedding portrait and see the natural, non-Botoxed smiles of your best girlfriends who are truly happy for you and don't resent you for the hell you've put them through the past year.

So, where do I fall in all of this? I admit that I've probably gone a little overboard in my own personal appearance "enhancements." I decided to get braces last year in anticipation of the wedding. I've always been somewhat embarrassed by my smile, and on a day when millions of pictures will be taken, I wanted to be able to smile with all the joy and happiness that I felt without worrying about my teeth. In this sense, the wedding was the catalyst for making me finally go to the orthodontist. I've also recently started seeing a dermatologist, and I still like to get a facial every now and then. Stress does crazy things to my skin (or maybe it's the Ben & Jerry's?), so I want to keep things in check well before the big day. As for that armpit fat and jiggly thighs, I recently went to the boxing gym with my fiance, and I'm even considering taking some yoga or ABT classes at school this fall. If I'm paying for a gym membership through my tuition, I might as well use it! Overall, though, nothing too crazy... right?

Oh, and for my bridesmaids, I think I'll stick with the mani/pedis... after all, most of them already have bigger ta-tas than me!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You lose any weight and you'll disapper! There's no fat on you.
You're skin and bones now!! And besides if you do your dress won't fit, unlike most your's is going to be a little big to start with.

Allyson said...

Damn...I was really hoping you would be funding my botox injections. You know, since people don't already think we're 5 years younger than we are! And I agree with your mama...you lose any weight and you'll dissapear! You wont be allowed to turn sideways all night b/c we won't be able to find you!

Lisa said...

Found your blog from another site and just had to comment as an attorney with a beagle (her name is Beauty and there are pic on my blog of course). Beagles are the best!

Lisa

www.blonde_lawyer.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

pompusa shouldn't be looking at other women's ta-ta's, haha

Unknown said...

I was afraid when you started talking about implants, Id definitely turn around and break yet some other thing of value!! As for spray on tan, I'd probably turn orange or break out into hives. Plus, your bridal party aren't exactly wallflowers should you try to bring us into contracts!
As for you, I think you're going to be the most amazingly gorgeous bride I've ever seen (in your dress, in a robe, in a potato sack, whatever).

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.