Sunday, June 22, 2008

Piece of Cake

As I continue to look for an affordable, yet unique wedding cake, I ran across these pictures from InStyle Weddings. Each of them has a quality (or two!) that I like, yet most of them seem as if they'd be cheaper to make than the Ben-Israel cake I originally posted about. I've come to realize that unless you consciously make the cake a focal point, then it's largely unnoticed. Even then, if there's a specialty groom's cake (as we will have), then the "bride's" cake is chalked up as "just another wedding cake" and the "oohs and ahhs" are reserved for the groom's. In light of this, I can't justify spending thousands on it, especially when it goes uneaten by many guests.

This is actually one of my favorites. It is simple, yet classy and, most importantly, there's some "pop" to it with the different flowers. I would use irises, orchids, lilies, lilac, etc in my color scheme in between the layers.

This is a really simple idea, but the unique cake plate and blueberries add some drama to it (the good kind of drama). As long as there's some type of blueberry filling, the blueberries wouldn't be out of place at our wedding. Since blueberries are also FI's favorite, I'm sure he'd have no problem with that.

I chose this picture not for the cake, but rather for the cake stand. I think that even a plain cake can be made outstanding with an elegant or unique cake stand. This plain white cake, with even just a few orchids or irises on top, would be an instant eye-catching on top of a tall glass cake stand.

This is a simple, yet classic cake that's made unique by it's square shape. If we use real flowers instead of sugar paste flowers, this shouldn't be terribly expensive to make.

Moving into the slightly more expensive designs, this cake is cute without being overly elaborate. I think it's too tall for us, but I like the "off-centerness" of the layers, and the winding flowers. These flowers are made of sugar paste, but I'm sure it's possible to get real flowers if they would be cheaper.

This design is deceptively simple. It's modeled after an Emilio Pucci design, and I think it's fabulous, especially given our water theme. However, I'm not sure how much it'd cost or even if a local bakery could replicate it.

Finally, I'm back to another elaborate design that's (shockingly) also Ron Ben-Israel. The tilt of the layers is particularly what I'm drawn to, as the design on the layers could be discarded and the flowers could be real instead of paste. Overall, I think a similar look could be replicated for less than I'm sure Mr. Israel charges.

What do you think? Should I stick with the original idea, or go with one of these?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

If you did #1 your favorite it could be done in buttercream icing and would actually be eaten. No one eats fondant. I like it too. It's simple yet the flowers would make it blend with anything. You could also make each layer a differnt flavor if you wanted to spice it up a little more. I can't believe we actually like the same thing!! Could this be a sign?

Unknown said...

I believe that I could give a much more informed opinion upon tasting the respective cakes. When it comes to baked goods, I do consider myself an expert. Especially wedding cakes, as I make up for those who eschew the obligatory piece, and often eat several for myself. I'm happy to offer my services.

And I agree with mom!

Unknown said...

All those cakes are gorgeous! I love the first one but they are all stunning. And I'm with Lauren: if people pass up their pieces of cake at weddings I am first in line to make sure they do not go to waste!