Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Patience is a Virtue

My trip to Newport yesterday was very hectic, but productive. I met with two florists, Trisha at Laurel Lane and Kristen at Stoneblossom. Stoneblossom's office is very high-tech, with plasma screen TV's and computer presentations. Kristen was very competent, but the whole experience felt a little impersonal or "corporate." Conversely, Trisha at Laurel Lane was a cute British lady who still took notes by hand. She had mounds of weddings magazines and lone computer tucked into a corner. She had great ideas and guaranteed me that I would be her only wedding that day (as opposed to Stoneblossom that books 10-15 weddings a weekend). Both places are getting back to me this week with an actual proposal, but of the two, I'm definitely leaning towards Laurel Lane.

Next, my MIL and I went to St. Thomas More in Narragansett to register me and FI. Since my MIL and FIL are registered members there, we were also allowed to register. St. Thomas More is a parish within the Providence diocese, so our registration is the first step in securing Salve Regina as our ceremony site.

We then went to Salve Regina to check out Ochre Court. It was breathtaking! It's absolutely stunning, and the pictures don't do it justice. Although Johanna, the events coordinator, was on vacation yesterday, I met with her assistant Mariann, who was less than helpful. She refused to give us any information, but she did haughtily mention that they "don't do weddings on commencement weekend." Uh-oh. I believe our wedding is on commencement weekend, but since it's on a Friday, maybe they'll make an exception. I emailed Johanna last night, and now I just have to wait for her response. Waiting is not my strong suit. If I haven't heard from her by tomorrow, I'll give her a call.

Finally, we went to H2O, which is another possible rehearsal dinner site. It was right on the water, and it had wrap around windows that opened up to the marina. The decor was very modern, with blue tiled walls and lounge seating and lighting. It's definitely right up FI's alley! It opens to the public in April, so FI and I will make a trip for lunch then. It's on the short list, though.

No comments: