Sunday, March 9, 2008

Flower Power

Since I'm on spring break this week, I'm going to Newport tomorrow to meet with some vendors, venues and hopefully Ochre Court. Unfortunately, in order to do this, I need FI's car, which means taking him to work at 7am. It's not exactly how I envisioned spring break, but at least it'll be productive. I decided to just go straight to Newport after dropping him off, so my first appointment is at 9:30 at Stoneblossom. My first floral appointment! At 11, I'm meeting with Trisha (a very nice British woman) of Laurel Lane, another florist.

Although I don't anticipate having a lot of floral decorations, I do want to get an idea of how much they're going to cost. In addition to the normal bouquets and boutinneres, I need some sort of centerpiece for the tables. I do NOT want huge flower arrangements in tall, nondescript vases. In fact, I don't want to use many flowers at all. I envision using water, candles and a few orchids and irises. I like the idea of "sunken" flowers and floating candles, but I think I'd rather have shorter centerpieces rather than tall ones. Perhaps a mix of short and tall? What I would really like is some sort of short, glass rectangle filled with water and river rocks, with candles and orchids floating on top. The closest image I can find uses a wooden box and sand instead of a glass and water, but it gives you the idea.

Basically, I want something unique and beautiful, which is why I'm excited to meet with the floral designers tomorrow. I want to get a sense of their personalities and creativity through their portfolios. Hopefully, they'll be able to interpret my "visions" into a workable centerpiece.

No comments: