Saturday, May 31, 2008

New York, New York

I'm making the big move to NYC tomorrow, although as of 2pm today, I still don't have a place to live. You'd think as anal as I am about planning my wedding (and pretty much every other aspect of my life) that I'd have found a place months ago. But, I think I've been living in a state of denial. As excited as I am about working at the Manhattan District Attorney's office, I'm devastated about having to leave FI and the pups. It's the little things that I'll miss the most -- coming home to licks and barks, Fritz showing me something he "caught" (i.e. usually a sock), Samantha doing whatever she wants and getting away with it (because she's a lemon beagle), and of course just having them there. I'll miss waking up and going to sleep with them. I'll miss being able to communicate with Rob with more than words... the kind of communication that you pick up from a look or posture ... the kind of communication that only comes after living with someone for so long that you know them as well as you know yourself.

Now, I will be back every weekend (or at least almost every weekend), but it's still going to be a "commuter" relationship. It's a regression to when we first started dating, and he was in Boston and I in DC. It's only for 10 weeks. We can do that, right? Plenty of people do that, especially between Boston and NYC. I'm sure it will fly by ... the summer always does. At least, that's what I'm telling myself.

No comments: