Thursday, May 29, 2008

Playing Bridesmaid

Today, I went over to Priscilla of Boston to try on the dresses I previously mentioned. All in all, it was a productive trip, but I did hit a few snags. First of all, the material that the dresses are made out of (silk satin) makes them very staticy and easy to pick and pull. This is obviously not good. In fact, it's so "not good" that POB pulled all the dresses from the showroom and is no longer making them in that material. As of right now, POB is still making the dresses, but they're substituting silk charmeuse (which is basically the same thing only better). This is why we couldn't find the dresses to start with -- they were all in the back and not on the show floor.

Secondly, I really like both long styles of dresses, both the strapless and the "tip of the shoulder." But, I think I like the "tip of the shoulder dress" a little bit more. It looks a bit more elegant, and the ruching at the bust area provides more coverage. Additionally, I even like the chiffon sash bow. So, maybe I'll give the girls a choice between the two, or maybe I'll just pick the "tip of the shoulder dress."

Thirdly, I really like both the "spa blue" and "mint julep" colors. However, the "peony" color would probably match the best with my other colors. I'm a little worried, though, that it'll be too pink or too bright. They didn't have any dresses available in peony, so all I got to see was the fabric swatch. I'm slightly afraid that it's a great color in small doses, but overwhelming as a floor length dress. The "spa blue" and "mint julep" colors are rather complimentary, though, so again maybe the girls could choose which color they wanted. But, if I had to pick one, I'd go with "spa blue."

As a side note, these dresses were WAY too big on me, so it's a little hard to tell exactly how they'll look when they actually fit. Additionally, I apologize for the blurry pictures (that's what happens when a 65 year old saleswoman takes them).

Strapless in Mint Julep:


Tip of the Shoulder:


On Sunday, two of my bridesmaids are going to the POB outside Washington, DC to try on these dresses and maybe a few others. So, once I get those pictures, I'll have a better idea of what I want to go with (I hope). What's your favorite dress combination?

No comments: